Friday, August 27, 2010

Do we fight for the right to a night at the opera now?

I don't remember when I first fell in love with opera. It was probably the influence of my friend Nisha who got me hooked on musicals as well. I loved opera even before I started studying Italian and learned what they were actually saying, but I love it even more now. I even love the German operas. I especially love the opere buffe, or the funny operas. I think my brother enjoyed those too since I always forced him to come with me, and I think the tragedies bored him. In fact I'm pretty sure he fell asleep a couple times. My favorite all time opera that I've seen was Il barbiere di Siviglia, which I saw when I was in Venice. Oh buddy was that fantastic. On my bucket list I have still left to see Aida, which is in San Fransisco this fall, so if I can convince someone to come with....
I am also overly obsessed with musicals. I have seen quite a few fantastic ones, though my musical bucket list still includes Wicked, Lion King and ironically enough, Aida.
While I'm on the subject of opera and musicals, I guess now would be a good time to talk about my love of Shakespeare plays as well. My Shakespeare bucket list is too long to detail out here, but my all time favorite play is the Tempest, and I have still not seen that live, so one day it is a must!!

No comments:

Post a Comment