Saturday, February 4, 2012

Musee d'Orsay


The outside of the building and the design inside was actually pretty cool. 
However.  At this point in my journey, I was not in the most pleasing mood.  Somewhere between Versailles, Les Invalides and here, the rain had started, my period had started, and my legs were trying to fall off.  Also, I had done my research and knew the types of paintings that were here.  I don't like recent art.  I get bored with impressionism, and anything after is appalling.  But 99.999% of the people I talked to before coming raved about Orsay and how they loved it so much more than the Louvre.  I knew that wouldn't happen to me, however I did fell that a visit to Orsay was needed, if nothing more than to at least say that I've been.  And so I've been.  Now, that's not to say I didn't find anything there that I liked, and so the following pictures are things that I did enjoy, despite the horrendous conditions that were present. 

My favorite part was an exhibit devoted to the Opera Garnier.  It was quite lovely and got me quite excited for my visit to the actual theatre the next day.
Also quite lovely was a room called Salles de les Fetes, which I think was just a fancy room they use to throw parties. 

Millet--The Gleaners
de la Pena--The Heights of Le Jean de Paris
Preault--Dante
Hebert--La lavandière ou jeune lavandière songeuse
 Lepine--Landscape
 Jongkind--Rue de l'Abbe de l'Epee, Paris
Degas--The Ballet Rehearsal on the Stage
Renoir--Dance at Le Moulin de la Galette
Monet--Blue Water Lilies
Van Gogh--Bedroom (apparently Starry Night was somewhere in the museum too, but I missed that one...)
Rodin--Gates of Hell
There was also a lot of cool furniture, some in the Art Nouveau section, and some in other sections.  And there was a random Polar Bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment