Monday, January 30, 2012

National Gallery

All right, here it goes, the incredibly long list of my favorite paintings from the National Gallery!

Canaletto--Venice:  The Doge's Palace and the Riva degli Schiavoni
Canaletto--Venice:  The Grand Canal with S. Simeone Piccolo
Domenichino--St. George Killing the Dragon
Schedoni--The Holy Family
 At this point in my wanderings, I had this thought:  There are so many pictures of Christ that are so wonderful, and I want to fill my house with them!

Sassoferrato--Virgin in Prayer
Vigee Le Brun--Mademoiselle Brongniart
Vigee Le Brun--Self Portrait
Wright of Derby--Experiment on a Bird in the Air Pump
Gainsborough--Cornard Wood
Constable--Salisbury Cathedral from the Meadows
It was at this point when I decided that I just want lots and lots and lots and lots of paintings in my house, of all sorts.

Seurat--Bathers at Asnieres
Monet--Water Lily Pond

There was a special Leonardo Da Vinci exhibit going on, which cost a lot of money and tickets sold out long before I was able to get one, so I didn't get to see the exhibit.  However, at one of the entrances the door was huge and thus people passing through that hall to get to the rest of the free museum part couldn't help but notice one of the paintings on display:  an exact copy of the Last Supper by one of Da Vinci's students.  I was quite thrilled to see it, since I was unable to see the original while I was in Milan a few years ago!
de Champaigne--Dream of Joseph (my brother, sister and I used this picture in a book we gave our mom for Christmas with the Nativity story, so it was cool to actually see this painting in person!)
Avercampt--Winter Scenes
Saftleven--Christ teaching from Saint Peter's Boat
Claude--The Enchanted Castle
Claude--Landscape with Aeneas at Delos
 Claude--Embarkation of Saint Ursula
van Delen--Architectural Fantasy
Botticelli--Venus and Mars
Exactly like what happened to me in Italy, I knew of the Botticelli painting beforehand and didn't expect to like it that much in person, but when I actually saw it, just like when I saw The Birth of Venus and La Primavera in the Uffizi in Florence, I actually really really liked the painting. 

Van Eyck--Arnolfini Portrait
Bronzino--Portrait of a Young Man
Raphael--Madonna of the Pinks


No comments:

Post a Comment