Sunday, April 20, 2014

Slovenia Day 2--Lake Bled

So this is probably one of the most well known and most visited tourist spots in Slovenia.  I had originally signed up for a bus tour of the lake, including another nearby lake as well, but in the end I was the only one who signed up for the tour and so it was cancelled.  At first I was uber annoyed, then I started to make my own arrangements to visit the area and thought I could plan an even better itinerary than what the tour group had planned.  Then I arrived and tried to put that plan in motion and failed terribly.  Moral of the story, tour bus is the way to go.  I still managed to have a decent time though.  I had wanted to hike a nearby gorge because the photos I had seen were absolutely breathtaking.  But because of the rough winter that Slovenia had, it wasn't open yet for people to hike.  And the side of Lake Bled that I started walking around was a very commercialized spot, and so for my first 20 minutes or so I was extremely disappointed.  I learned two very important things from that.  One:  Don't let my expectations ruin reality.  Particularly when my expectations are unrealistic.  Two:  Sometimes timing really is everything.  I had just come too early in the year, and no amount of pouting was going to change that fact.  After around 20 minutes I became much more immersed in nature, and the commercial aspects of the area weren't as obvious, and since I was one of the few tourists in the area, I had a lot of good alone time to ponder life while walking around the lake.  I was able to analyze a few weaknesses that I have been struggling with lately, so while it wasn't the funnest thought process, it was good to go through.  Good timing too, seeing as how Easter was almost here and I could make the jump from feeling down and frustrated with my weaknesses and bad character traits to the Savior and the Atonement, and how He can help me overcome my issues and make me a better person.  So it was an interesting day indeed.  Full of annoyance, frustration, disappointment, discouragement, acknowledgement of weaknesses, etc.  But I guess if one is going to have a serious heart to heart with themselves, it might as well be around a gorgeous lake.












No comments:

Post a Comment