Monday, November 12, 2012

Stanford Cantor Art Museum

The last post I have about museums I've been to is the Cantor Art Museum on Stanford Campus.  It didn't have anything famous (minus the MASSIVE Rodin collection, of course), but it was a lovely little museum.  My favorite part is that it had a tiny bit from every culture, so I got to see a lot of Native American, African and Oceanic art that I had never been exposed to before, so that was really cool.  I also really liked the section dedicated to the Stanford family.  I hadn't heard before the story of the family and how the school was founded, and I thought that section of the museum was really cool.  The only painting I remember really loving was a Napoleon painting, but I don't remember what it was called, and as I looked through the online collections I couldn't find it.  But here are some other cool things from the museum:

Rodin--Gates of Hell

Gericault--Passage du Saint Bernard

House post from Native Americans in Canada

Rodin--Bust of Victor Hugo

Rodin--Iris Awakening a Nymph

Rodin--The Kiss

Emile Auguste Carolus-Duran--Leland Stanford, Jr.

Medallion of General Bonapart

Rodin--Three Shades

China tea pot

No comments:

Post a Comment