Monday, October 8, 2012

Sometimes You're Actually NOT Allergic To Gluten

Tomorrow I'm starting a 2 month experiment of not eating any gluten, soy, or dairy.  I saw a nutritionist who is dead certain I'm going to die in 2 years from something akin to diabetes or cancer if I don't eliminate such toxins from my system (ignore the fact that my blood test for gluten sensitivity was almost as negative as possible (and yes, I did do a lot of research in peer-reviewed scientific journals to make sure I was interpreting the result correctly), or even that any diabetes related blood test I've had recently is also not only within normal limits, but on the low end not even close to being borderline, or even that I don't think gluten allergy and diabetes are even remotely related.  But who knows.  I haven't taken the time to look up any research on that one).  *Warning:  It turns out nutritionist are much like chiropractors ...some of them are great and fabulous people based in real scientific principles and help benefit peoples lives greatly.  Others are just hippies with bad ideas and cost a lot of money that I never had to begin with.  (No offense to my family members/friends/old roommates whom I love dearly and are hippie-esque.  Hippies in and of themselves don't bother me, and I'm glad you enjoy your lifestyle so much.  I just can't stand when others try to force their lifestyle that I don't agree with on me.)

Why is everyone so keen to jump on the gluten-free fad?  Obviously some people really do need it.  Others of us however, plan on spending grad school in England eating scones every afternoon with tea and eventually retiring in Italy with the food of the gods, and if I don't need to be gluten-free, I sure as heck am not going to be gluten-free.  Realistically, I think the few symptoms that I have that overlap with the symptoms of gluten sensitivity are really caused by my lactose intolerance, which I do know I have, and which I still don't control very well (cheese is my last big weakness.  You'd think ice cream would be the hardest to give up, but luckily froyo exists so it ends up not being a big sacrifice.  Most of the time.....)  But regardless of what I may think, I decided to do the 2 month experiment anyway.  If nothing else it's a good lesson in self control.  I'll let you know what happens in 2 months when eat a bit of gluten again.

No comments:

Post a Comment