Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Stairway to Heaven



(song by Switchfoot called "Yesterdays")

Yesterday my father passed away.  I had been thinking about him a lot the previous week.  A lot of it had to do with the fact that I was in Liverpool seeing the Beatles sights, which was something that meant a lot to him, being a diehard Beatles fan since he was younger and the Beatles were actually playing live.  But I also had randomly been thinking about my father for other reasons, and in particular all of the ways in which he had shaped my life and helped me become the person I am today.  Even though I won't be able to tell him all of this, I thought that I would write it anyway.

As I child I was very close to my dad.  I was much closer to him growing up than I was to my mom.  Baseball was a big thing that he and I did together, and it was one of the most important things of my entire childhood and even early adult years.  My dad was also very much into literature and poetry, and I definitely inherited that from him.  Music was also a very big passion of his, and even though I didn't take advantage of the musical talent of his as much as my brother or sister, I have always been able to tinker here or there with various instruments.  My dad also adored Japan.  We grew up watching Japanese cartoons, eating Japanese food, even learning some words here or there.  There are a plethora of Totoros in various forms all throughout my dorm room.  My dad also had a talent for family history and keeping personal records, and we had many great conversations and my love for family history developed over the years.  

I have so many fond memories of my dad, and hopefully I be able to take time to document them soon.  I'm not sure if any other person in my life has had such a huge impact in shaping my personality and helping me become the person I am today.  I love you Dad, and will be eternally grateful for your influence on my life!  You will always be a major part of who I am. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment