Monday, August 22, 2011

Just Say No To Brain Damage

I had a dream a few days ago where a friend of mine got a concussion, and for whatever reason I was put in charge of making sure this friend stayed in the room we were in and didn't do anything to aggravate his concussion. He was very disobedient and it was very frustrating for me. I kept trying to tell him what was good for him, but he didn't understand. He just thought I was being mean. I eventually called the police to stop him from playing sports (random dream, I know). When I woke up though, I realized that this was a lesson I needed to apply to myself. While I was home this weekend, I had the chance to talk with a great family friend who has spent the last year or so studying Traumatic Brain Injury. It was a fabulous talk and it helped me to realize that I needed more patience with myself. I am very much still in the process of healing. In fact, I am way ahead of schedule as far as the healing process goes, apparently, so therefore I cannot let myself get upset when I don't feel 100%. We talked a lot about how extra tired I am all the time, and how I need to learn to say "No" and to be okay with taking a break so that I can heal. A part of me feels guilty. There are so many good things out there that I could be doing, and that so many other people around me are doing all the time, but I need to realize that I am healing and often I will have to say "No". I've been studying a lot lately the talk "Good, Better, Best" by Elder Dallin Oaks, and it has been helping me a lot. The choices that I have in life are not between good and evil, but among many very good things. I need to learn to distinguish between these things so at this time in my life while I am still healing and don't have the energy to do many extra-curricular activities, I can know which are the best things in my life, and let go of the good and better. And I need to stop feeling like I'm not good enough when I don't do what most other people are doing. I need to be okay taking it easy, and just saying "No".

No comments:

Post a Comment